Thursday, April 26, 2007

Top 25 Hip Hop Albums of All Time

So I'm participating (on the margins) over at Straight Bangin' s 25 Best Hip Hop albums of all time poll.

I emailed my list over to Joey, and he said "Thanks for the contribution . . .it's a unique list."

Heh.

I blame living overseas for 7 years. . . and then in Houston for 4 for any quirkiness in my list.

25. Jay-Z - Vol. 2 . . . Hard Knock Life
24. Nas - Illmatic
23. Jay-Z - The Black Album
22. Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
21. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
20. Outkast - Stankonia
19. Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
18. Erik B & Rakim - Paid in Full
17. Kanye West - Late Registration
16. Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001
15. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
14. NWA - Straight Outta Compton
13. The Roots - Things Fall Apart
12. Boogie Down Productions - Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip-Hop
11. Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the life of . . .
10. Outkast - Aquemini
9. Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91, the Enemy Strikes Back
8. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
7.Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
6. The Fugees - The Score
5. Wu Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
4. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
3. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
2. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
1. Run DMC- Raising Hell

There's a lot of stuff on there that hasn't shown up on the other lists - I think 3 albums by the Beastie Boys, The Fugees, Aquemini making the top 10, Dr. Dre's 2001, Arrested Development and Vol. 2 . . . Hard Knock Life making the list are certainly oddballs. Also I'm probably unique for having zero Tupac and Biggie albums - but truth be told, I don't actually OWN any Tupac or Biggie albums. I suppose with Soulseek and iTunes and bittorrent I could change that, but I haven't gotten off my lazy ass to do so. Yet.

But my list is my list - I just went with albums I could listen to over and over.





2 comments:

wancestyle said...

Although hip hop is not my forte, I wonder why you did not mention Tupak, Notorious BIG or Eminem. I I agree on the top 3 and on all the Beastie Boys albums in your list though. One of my fav black artists is D'Angelo, who would probably be classified as neo-soul rather than hip hop.

Anyway, it is good to mix music genres. I grew up listening to Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Faith No More, Primus, Living Colour, Mr. Bungle, Fishbone, etc., so crossover was (still is) my favourite kind of music!

T. said...

The real reason? I don't actually own any full 2Pac albums, and didn't have any Biggie albums when he was still alive. And while I think Em - when he's on is among the very bestMCs of all time, his name never came up when I thought of albums I really like throwing on the ipod and listening to.

I saw Fishbone play at my university, and Angelo Dundee went stage diving and kicked me in the head, so the've got that going for them.