Sunday, June 24, 2007

Bikes in Shanghai? No Way.

So my stuff finally arrived. After being packed (originally) sometime in July 2006. And then packed (for shipping) around February 1 2007.

So aside from the sheer amount of crap I own (my closet is literally overflowing right now - after throwing away a bunch of stuff in Houston, taking a bunch back to Sacramento and still
Link two boxes of clothes are sitting here) - the thing I was most excited for was to get my bicycle here. I've been jealously looking at all the people riding around the French Concession . . .so after unpacking for the last 3 days, I finally had enough room to re-assemble my bike and take it for a spin.

I'd say 95% - 99% of bike riders in Shanghai are using it purely for transportation. There's no join of riding, no one is enjoying themselves. That's fine - but it also means that everyone rides at a snail's like pace. S-l-l-l-l-l-l-o-w. But I suppose it's to be on guard for all the people who just run into the bike lane WITHOUT LOOKING.

I almost hit 6 or 7 people in a two hour ride . . . maybe I'm riding too fast, but people, you gotta LOOK. Sheesh.

I also saw a Maybach parked outside Mesa & Manifesto and a H3 Hummer with spinners.



No comments: