Monday, March 24, 2008

The Music Taste of Shanghai

By and large, residents of Mainland China don't have what many people would call "good music taste." In a land where Michael Learns to Rock and other bland, sappy, non-edgy music is overwhelming the western pop music of choice, music in public places is often, well at the very least annoying.

However, over the past year and change in Shanghai, I've noticed something odd. Good music in public spaces. I mean really good music - and not the most mainstream of stuff either. Maybe a non-single track from a well-known band or some older 80s or early 90s stuff. and often in weird locations.

Everytime I hear stuff like this - I usually send a text message to some friends who are equally puzzled. I've written down some of the songs and locations I've heard in just the past month:

My gym:
Pet Shop Boys - What Have I Done to Deserve This?
Modest Mouse - Dashboard
Eric B and Rakim - Follow the Leader
Bell Biv Devoe - Poison

789 Hot Pot Restaurant:
Us3 - Cantaloop
Heavy D and the Boyz - Now that We've Found Love
New Order - Touched by the Hand of God

Infiniti Shopping Mall:
Kanye West - Flashing Lights

Bowling Alley:
Men Without Hats - Pop Goes the World
Toto - Rosanna

Riding in a cab:
Duran Duran: The Reflex
Duran Duran: View to a Kill
Duran Duran: Wild Boys
(I believe he was playing some sort of best of or mix CD)

Okay, so it's not all good music (Rosanna) but who is playing all of that good music out there?


1 comment:

Shopgirl said...

love that song by kanye west - flashing lights

we dance to that song in bodyjam class, and we do a bobby brown dance ;)

absolutely love that song