Okay, so I was only in Bangkok as a visitor, so its an unfair comparison, but here's the ways in which BKK is superior:
1. Public Transport - yeah, the buses aren't as good as Shanghai, but the Skytrain and subway and river taxi combo are far superior. (Shanghai's traffic is better though)
2. Movie theaters - I might vote for Siam Paragon's theater being the nicest in the world. Cushy chairs with a little blankie that you and your date can snuggle under? Or if you're alone, you can use to sleep under.
3. Shopping malls - Emporium, Siam Paragon, Central are all far superior to almost anything in Shanghai. Super Brand Mall is the only thing close . . .and that's Thai financed.
4. Street food - Bangkok hands down.
5. Fruit - Bangkok again!
6. Bookstores - Books Kinokuniya and Asia Books - either one of these, even one of the small outlets, if they put ONE in Shanghai, it would instantly be the best english bookstore here, beating Garden Books and Chaterhouse handily.
7. Bars/Clubs/Going out - okay, both cities have annoying people (Nana couples in Bangkok and the crowd at the Bund bars) - but if you're going out with your friends, Nana couples are easily avoided. But my stupid friends enjoy Lounge 18, or ever worse, Bar Rogue. So the crowd at the Bund is unavoidable.
Bangkok wins in an unfair competition, amongst criteria that I decided.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Thursday, June 12, 2008
So, just got back from 10 days in Thailand. I'll cook up a photo post and a post about why Bangkok is superior to Shanghai soon, but as Swiss James knows, bullet points are a cheap and easy way to write a post. So some random facts about my trip:
- Photos taken: 136
- Airports visited: 7 (Shanghai Hongqiao, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Bangkok Suvarnabumi, Krabi, Bangkok Don Muang, Shenzhen)
- Flight segments taken: 5
- Other transportation taken: bus, taxi, mini-bus, subway, SkyTrain, longtail
- Books read: Quirkology, Nothing Like It in the World, China Road, Liar's Poker, Getting Rich First
- Most common nationality in Krabi: Canadians (most of whom were, um, overweight)
- Times falling in love with random Thai women in Bangkok: at least 200
- Times attacked by crab: 1
- Mangoes eaten: over 20
- Massages received: 7
- Movie seen: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (C+ movie, A++++ movie theatre at Siam Paragon)
- Times I walked over to Rai Leh Beach East: 4
- Times I decided there was nothing to do, eat or spend money on in Rai Leh Beach East: 3
I love Thailand. I hope to be back soon.