Thursday, March 05, 2009

Sushi Kuu







I've been wanting to eat at Sushi Kuu in Hong Kong since reading Grace's post about it almost two years ago.

But visits to Hong Kong, while frequent, tend to be centered around meals to char siu emporiums or cha chan tangs or wonton noodle places. And its rare that I find people willing to spend 700 HKD ($125 US) on a sushi meal.

However, two weeks ago, when in Hong Kong to take care of some immigration issues (replace my stolen Hong Kong ID card actually), my good friend S called me. Her husband A was good friends with the owner/chef at Kuu and wanted to see if I would like to join in an omakase. Meal. It took me about half a second to say yes.

Normally when thinking about high-faultin' nice sushi restaurants, the colors are muted, the tones revential and hushed. Think about how Anthony Bourdain describes Masa's in the Dirty Bits.

Sushi Kuu is not that kind of place. When customers walk in the door on a Friday night - if the chef knows them, he'll order "SAMUARI!" with a loud point and get that customer outfitted with some potent 41% alcohol sake to start with. All guests are greeted with a loud and hearty "Ush!" - this is not a place to have a quiet, romantic date - this is fun, loud, a little bit crass, but mostly loud, fun.

The food? Well, it all becomes a bit hazy. I just remember eating more Uni than I ever have in my life. Each roll, each piece of sushi was practically swimming in it. The torch crisped tuna was perfection. The everything roll almost killed me.

Just look at these photos - everything was beautifully presented. Crisp. and delicious.

Address: 1/F, Wellington Place, 2-8 Wellington St., Central, Hong Kong 0000, China
Phone: +852-2971-0180

Omokase meal: $700 HKD (without sake)





No comments: